Seiten

2013/11/05

Book Review - The Elite (Kiera Cass)


The Elite


author: Kiera Cass
genres: Romance, Dystopia, YA
series: The Selection / The Elite / The One
shelves: awesome-cover, bad-but-fun, dumb-love-interest, dystopia, liked-it, plot-absence, shut-the-hell-up, so-slow-paced-it-ain-t-even-funny, this-is-not-love

rating: Liked it!


I thought of Aspen's certainty that I couldn't be a princess.


Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

I remembered the last-place spot in the public poll.

You know what's strange? That I like these books.
Yeah, you heard right. I, Bloody, who disliked Divergent and Matched and all that other hyped stuff, liked The Elite. A book which basically consists of nothing (with cheese).
And the part that disturbs me the most is that I don't even know why.

Because, let's face it, the Selection series is garbage. It's a big mess, with no real plot aside of the Selection itself (and America wondering if she loves Aspen or Maxon), most of the characters are horribly written and / or I just disliked them with a burning passion and unless The One ends with a giant massacre where everybody dies (though that would be kinda fitting) you cannot talk of decent foreshadowing either, everything is pretty clear.

Sure, there still is the caste system and we finally meet some rebels, oh, and Maxon, but that's about it. Everything else? America was annoying, Aspen should go die, so should Celeste, and Kriss, and the king... I did like Marlee and Maxon and Silvia and Amberly, oh, and the cousins of the Italian princess, they were epic, but that's about it. And Natalie should at least pretend she has a brain.

Oh, and Team Maxon by the way. Though Maxon did some pretty bad things and I won't ever forgive him for that thing with Celeste, his defense towards America was no excuse, he's still a million times better than overly-perfect Aspen, a character made to lurve and yet is so loathsome.

If you search for a stupid, cheesy, dystopian-y lovestory (that's what the series is, honestly) and are not easily annoyed by nothing happening, this is for you. Actually, it wouldn't be something for me either. I need action, I can't take cheesy stuff (Oh, the pain while reading Passion. The paiiiiin.), and if nothing happens, I'm not interested. Maybe it's the covers that draw me in so much. No idea. *shrug* Really, I can't even tell you why I like it. It's just how it is.

Could I do this?

Yeah... Like I was saying. (I just needed to make the review seem longer, because it took way too long and I'm exhausted.)

Could I be the next princess of Illéa?

No comments:

Post a Comment