Seiten

2013/09/29

Book Review - Across the Universe (Beth Revis)


Across the Universe


author: Beth Revis
genres: Science Fiction, Dystopia, Mystery, Romance, YA
series: Across the Universe / A Million Suns / Shades of Earth
shelves: awesome-heroine, dem-feels, dumb-romance, dystopia, in-a-galaxy-far-far-away, liked-it, male-lead, oh-no-you-didnt, surprised-me, this-is-not-love, wasted-potential

rating: Loved it!




I run and run and run.


Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

To the cold metal wall.

If you take a look at my shelves and my ratings, you'll notice that they don't quite add up... Wasted potential, but I was also surprised? Huh?

Yeah, the thing is, Across the Universe could be even better than it already is. Okay, every book could (aside from The Iron Fey and the Grisha trilogy, oh, and Vampire Academy. They're flawless.), but the 'bad' things about Across the Universe are things that are improvable, I'm pretty sure Beth Revis could have pulled that off...
But this book still managed to shock me, glue me to the pages and make me go all "WTF just happened". Sometimes it even was pretty disturbing. Hell, I couldn't even read the first chapter without little breaks. I just hate such scenes, I hate hate hate them. >.< Err... And my point is that Across the Universe is a prrrretty hyped book, especially around German bloggers, and I tend to dislike hyped books (see Divergent, Matched, shiver...) so I didn't expect this book to be so good. Makes sense? ... I hope.

So, what were these improvable things? First of all, the writing. I have no problem with few descriptions, but they were basically nonexistent in Across the Universe. What does everything look like? No idea. Also, the two main characters, Amy and Elder, who tell the story, sound so alike I sometimes forgot who was narrating and had to look it up again at the beginning of the chapter. They had the exact same voice, the same preferences, the same personalities. Kinda reminds me of Legend where it was the same. Dunno.

Then I have to criticize the romance. While I like Amy and have no real opinion about Elder, it just felt rushed and kinda insta-love-ish, with lots and lots of fascinatioooooon stuff and blah blah blah. There was about no chemistry, of course there wasn't, because the romance didn't develop, it was simply there...

Also, though that's just a minor point, the characters, if not unsympathetic, were boring. I've seen these types of characters before and before, the only character that really stood out was Harley, one of my favorite characters by the way. I did like the others though.

Buttttt Across the Universe also had its shockig moments - and I mean shocking moments - and I was unable to put it away. You can't say this book is not exciting, not in the slightest! In fact, every time I tried to put it down I couldn't because there was always something happening, which caused me to almost oversleep 'cause I'm a night-reader and I finished Across the Universe around 3 am... My alarm clock was set on 6. Awe-some, I tell ya. But it was worth it. Because after all, I can really recommend this if you search for a nice Sci-Fi-Dystopia-Mystery-thingie!

And then the most important thing about living on a spaceship comes to my mind.

Like I was saying: I can easily recommend this to you. o/
Oh, and also, the new covers suck. THEY SUCK.

You can't run anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment